Created by admin on December 11, 2018
This is a local South African favourite, made with Fry’s Meat-Free Mince. It is Chaka-lekker!
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Serves: 4
- 1 box Fry's Meat-Free Mince with vegan gravy
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 cucumber
- Carrot slivers
- Baby tomatoes
- Fresh lettuce
- Your favourite chutney
- Vegan mayo
- 2 rolls of puff pastry, defrosted
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 small tin of tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 punnet button mushrooms, sliced
- A handful of fresh thyme
- 1 white onion, sliced
- Micro herbs, for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan and gently fry the onion until soft. Add some fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper. Once the onions have caramelised, remove from heat and set aside.
- Fry mushrooms and garlic in a little oil until the mushrooms begin to soften and brown and set aside.
- In a separate pan, prep the Fry’s Meat-Free Mince with vegan gravy according to the instructions on the pack. Add the tomato paste, and cook for another 5 minutes before setting aside. The mince shouldn’t be too wet.
- Spray the braai grid with baking spray on both sides.
- Unroll one of the rolls of puff pastry onto the grid.
- Spoon the mince onto the puff pastry and spread this out to create an even layer - leaving a 2cm border around the edges of the pastry.
- Top with a layer of mushrooms and a layer of onions. Break a few thyme leaves over the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Unroll and the second layer of puff pastry over the top and fold the edges of pastry over and press gently to seal well.
- Brush the top of the pie with olive oil.
- Close the grid and braai the pie over medium coals, turning the grid regularly, for 15 minutes or until the pastry is crispy and cooked through.
- Cut into squares and serve with braaied mielies and a fresh summer salad and a chutney/vegan mayo dipping sauce.
- Garnish with fresh micro herbs and enjoy!